Landlords | Homefinders


If my boiler breaks down, what length of time have I to got to get the repair carried out?

How long would you be prepared to be without heating or hot water yourself? One to two days at most? It’s the same with your tenants. Heating and hot water is one of the areas where there’s little-to-no tolerance of delays or lack of action by tenants so we try to get these attended to immediately. If it is cold weather and parts needs to be ordered we will always lend your tenants heaters.

Do I have to have electric safety certificate and PAT testing?

Simple answer? No, it’s not a legal requirement. We strongly advise it though. The amount of people annually who receive shocks, burns, and injury from faulty electrics is in the hundreds of thousands.

Testing your property to ensure that the wiring, installations, and appliances are safe seems a small expense when you consider what’s at risk. If the unthinkable happens and your tenant receives an injury, a PIR or PAT test certificate are the only things you can produce to show that you’ve taken all possible steps to prevent such an incidence.

What are my responsibilities about repairs?

Repairs are usually the most contentious issue of property management. You want to minimise expense at your property and keep your rent coming in, sometimes these don’t go hand in hand.

Repairs that aren’t directly attributable to a tenant abusing the property are the landlord’s responsibility. Your tenants will expect repairs to be carried out as required and we always advise this. Repairing your property not only keeps your tenants happy but prevents you incurring further expenses if a problem is left to develop.